At Theradynamics Physical & Occupational Therapy, Iontophoresis is a specialized treatment technique we may utilize for certain conditions. Iontophoresis involves the use of a small electrical current to deliver medication through the skin and into the underlying tissues. Here’s how we incorporate Iontophoresis into our therapy sessions:
1. Assessment: Before initiating Iontophoresis treatment, our therapists will assess your condition to determine if it is an appropriate treatment option for you. We will review your medical history, evaluate your symptoms, and consider any contraindications or precautions.
2. Medication Selection: Based on your specific condition, our therapists will select the appropriate medication to be used with Iontophoresis. Common medications used include anti-inflammatory drugs, local anesthetics, or other medications aimed at reducing pain, inflammation, or muscle spasm.
3. Preparation: The area of your skin where the medication will be applied will be cleaned and prepared. This helps ensure proper electrode placement and optimal medication delivery.
4. Electrode Placement: Electrodes, which are small pads or patches, are applied to the treatment area. One electrode is saturated with the selected medication, while the other electrode serves as the return electrode. The electrodes are strategically placed to ensure proper current flow and medication absorption.
5. Electrical Current Application: A low-level electrical current is then applied to the electrodes, creating an electrical field that facilitates the transport of the medication through the skin. The current is typically gentle and comfortable, and you may feel a slight tingling or warmth during the treatment.
6. Duration and Frequency: The duration of each Iontophoresis session will vary depending on the specific medication and condition being treated. Typically, sessions last around 10 to 20 minutes. The frequency of treatment will also be determined based on your needs and response to therapy.
7. Monitoring and Adjustment: Throughout the treatment session, our therapists will closely monitor your comfort and response to the Iontophoresis. If needed, adjustments may be made to the current intensity or duration to ensure optimal medication delivery and minimize any potential side effects.
8. Home Program and Education: In some cases, we may provide you with an Iontophoresis unit for home use, along with detailed instructions on how to administer the treatment safely and effectively. Our therapists will educate you on proper electrode placement, medication application, and any precautions or self-care measures to follow.
It’s important to note that Iontophoresis may not be suitable for everyone, and its use will be determined on an individual basis. Our therapists will carefully evaluate your condition and provide the most appropriate treatment options to help you achieve your therapeutic goals.
If you have any further questions or would like to explore the potential benefits of Iontophoresis, we encourage you to contact us at Theradynamics to schedule a consultation with one of our knowledgeable therapists.